Saturday 22 September 2012

Albacore Tuna Salad



This salad came about due to the strong desire to eat a healthy but delicious sandwhich but more so it was simply an excuse to try my hamd at making homemade mayo. A manufactured bottle of the white condiment hasn't made it's way into my home since I moved out and got my own place. That was four years ago. Four years of no mayo besides the white, greasy and sometimes coagulated stuff served on catered sandwhiches during business meetings.

Making your own mayo has a lot of perks. You can control everything that goes in and everything you don't need like excessive amounts of perservatives, salt and fat. This recipe is a very short list of everyday items found in nearly any kitchen pantry - well stocked or not. Also, I have to say, making your own mayo is very therapeutic. Watching as a few ingredients mix and emulsify to create this buttery yellow (as seen above) or white (depending on how heavy you are with the mustard) spread that can play a key role in so many dishes is just mouth matering and peaceful. I say peaceful because I am at peace when I know that I have circumvented the big box companies and avoided the unneccessary consumption of chemical compounds, aka perservatives.

Enough mayo talk. Let's get down to business. Ingredients and recipe time.

For the mayo

Ingredients:
2 egg yolks
1 tbl fresh lemon juice
1 tbl white wine vinegar
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp sugar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup olive oil


For the Salad

Ingredients:
Minced celery
Jalepeno
Minced onion
Diced cherry tomatoes
Raisins



No comments: